We love candles! They’re the perfect gift and the fragrance and color options are endless. When we discovered this do-it-yourself candle project using old crayons, we couldn’t resist. What’s your favorite color?
Make your own candle creation and experiment with different glass shapes in this tutorial. If you enjoy it, imagine the fun your party guests will have with our Party Candle Art. Click here for more information about this fun service.
- Old Crayons
- Glass Votives or any Glass you’d like to use for your candle - Get Creative!
- Wax Sticks
- Small Paper Cups
- Popsicle Sticks
- Essential Oil Fragrance of your choice (optional)
- Peel the paper off your crayons (it’s easier if you soak them in water first).
- Fill the paper cup with wax sticks and microwave for 1 minute. Stir and repeat in 30-second intervals until the wax is completely melted.
- Pour a very thin layer of wax into the bottom of your glass and place the candlewick in the center.
- Let the wax harden.
- Using one crayon per color, fill a paper cup with wax and top with a broken up crayon.
- Microwave for 2 minutes, stir and repeat in 30-second intervals until the wax is completely liquefied.
- Let the wax cool for 30 seconds.
- Add a few drops of your essential oil fragrance and stir.
- For a slanted design, tilt your glass and pour the colored wax into the glass. (if you’d prefer a straight horizontal design, don’t tilt your glass)
- Let this layer of wax dry in the tilted position for 20-30 minutes.
- Repeat steps 5-10 with your other layers of color tilting the glass in opposite directions each time. (for horizontal designs, no need to tilt the glass)
For more details, check out this great 2-minute video tutorial.
What color combinations are your favorites?